Special Agent P.M.
Special Agent P.M. was in charge of site security at the crime scene near Shanksville, Pennsylvania after terrorists crashed a plane there on September 11, 2001.
I can recall walking over to the crater and standing. And there was an NTSB official that was standing next to me that was in charge of their group.
And I looked at him and I said, "Where's the airplane?"
And he said, "It's in that hole."
And I said, "No, that's impossible."
And he said, "No, it's not. It's physics."
The speed of the aircraft and the fact that it's a hollow tube. It's like a straw.
The energy that went into that crash. He said the materials we're looking for are in that hole.
And they showed me a mark in the ground where he thought the tail would hit because it was inverted.
He said there are the engines, out there. The wings would have opened up. The fuel would have spilled. That's why you see the fires in the tree line. All the trees are charred.
And so, you learn those sorts of things if you've never been to a crash site before. You kind of try to pick up very quickly what's going on and what you're dealing with.
And he, obviously, had been to many crashes and knew what to look for.
And the people that initially got there and looked around had the same questions I did: "Where is the plane?" "Where are the materials from this airplane?"
It was hard to believe that they were contained in that hole, other than for a few parts.
And as they started to excavate you realized, yeah, there are pieces coming out of there that are obviously pieces of aircraft.
- 08.18.2017 — Inside the FBI’s Public Access Line
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: John Woodill Recalls Graduation
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Fulfilling a Dream
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Firearms Training
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Driving the Precision Obstacle Course (360-Degree Video)
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Preparing for the Field
- 08.01.2017 — 360-Degree Video of Mock Crime Scene, FBI Honolulu Adopt-a-School
- 07.31.2017 — Becoming an Agent: The First Week
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Inside the Classroom
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Kellie Holland’s Perspective
- 07.27.2017 — How the FBI's Adopt-a-School Program is Working in Hawaii
- 07.24.2017 — Vermont Drug-Related Forfeiture Leads to Renewal of Homes, Neighborhood
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: The ONE Program
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: John Woodill’s Perspective
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: David Lewis’ Perspective
- 07.14.2017 — Security Video of 2013 Connecticut Jewelry Store Robbery
- 06.29.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Phillip Leron Miller
- 06.16.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Offered in Maurice Spagnoletti Murder Case
- 06.15.2017 — Surveillance Video of Missing Student Yingying Zhang
- 06.08.2017 — Thieves Steal Jeep from Rancho Bernardo Home