Special Agent M.S.
Retired Special Agent M.S. was one of three supervisory agents from the Pittsburgh Division on the scene after terrorists crashed a plane near Shanksville, Pa., on September 11, 2001. He was in charge of site logistics.
The thing that I recall the most vividly was I'm walking down there expecting to see a plane crash and a catastrophe and body parts and debris littered all over the place.
But that's not what I saw.
I saw a big hole.
We're digging up dirt with backhoes and we're trying to find this plane, OK. We know the plane is in there.
But we're going down. You know, we're 20, 30 feet. And a lot of the stuff we're finding was pretty crucial to tying together the pieces of what was going on here.
So it was kind of an important--you know--you couldn't let up and say, OK, they're going to go down and dig five more feet of dirt today. Because you don't know what was in that five feet of dirt.
And a lot of times, they were finding things that were kind of crucial pieces.
You know, a lot of people that have never been to a scene like this will think, "What is there to digging up a plane that's buried in the ground?"
Well, yeah, you can dig up anything. It doesn't take long.
But, to dig it up forensically? And to find whatever evidence is in that is painstaking.
It is one of the most painstaking things you'll ever do.
And you have to understand going in that this is going to be a long process. It's going to take a long time.
It's not like CSI on television where yo go in with a backhoe and dig it up and there's all the evidence laying there.
It just doesn't work that way.
- 02.20.2018 — Facebook Live Event: FBI Victim Assistance
- 02.20.2018 — Seeking Information in Memphis Gas Station Robbery
- 02.16.2018 — FBI Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Program
- 02.16.2018 — Children of Thomas Wales Seek Information
- 02.09.2018 — FBI Cincinnati Hate Crime Investigation
- 02.08.2018 — Download the FBI Bank Robbers App
- 02.05.2018 — Salt Lake City ATM Robbery Attempt
- 02.02.2018 — 2017 Biometric Identification Award
- 01.26.2018 — Kidnapping in Calumet City, Illinois, December 20, 2017
- 01.17.2018 — FBI and Security Preparations for Super Bowl LII
- 01.17.2018 — Super Bowl Brings a Focus on Human Trafficking
- 01.09.2018 — E-Check Tutorial: Firearm Retrieval Questions
- 01.09.2018 — FBI Hazardous Devices School Intro
- 01.09.2018 — Training with Bomb Disposal Robots (360-Degree Video)
- 01.09.2018 — Inside the FBI’s Hazardous Devices School
- 01.02.2018 — Arizona Armed Robbery
- 12.18.2017 — Utah U.S. Attorney Discusses Affinity Fraud
- 12.18.2017 — SEC Regional Director Describes Affinity Fraud
- 12.18.2017 — Utah Fraud Victim Describes Her Ordeal
- 12.18.2017 — Salt Lake Agent Describes Affinity Fraudster Tactics