Special Agent J.A.
Special Agent J.A. was working on a Truck Hijacking Squad in Brooklyn-Queens and was attending a meeting for hostage negotiators in New York City on September 11, and led the investigation of two suspected co-conspirators in the weeks that followed.
My first reaction was some cowboy in a Cessna fooling around bounced off the building.
But when I looked out onto the street I saw people running--running--north on Broadway.
And I always say it reminded me of a monster movie from when I was a kid, like a dinosaur or something out of ... creature was chasing people up Broadway.
But when I went out to Broadway and started looking south I saw ... this is not going to be good.
I wasn't looking at the towers when they started to collapse. I was engaged in conversation when you just saw people's eyes get really wide. And everybody just started to say it's coming down.
I didn't know how the towers were collapsing. I imagined the towers were going to collapse to our position. So I saw an elevator. All elevators have a steel frame around the elevator. So I went and I just stood in the elevator, you know, closed elevator. And I remember saying to myself I don't know if this is going to be good or bad because if I get trapped in here it's going to be a long time to suffer in this little void. And I remember saying I hope this doesn't hurt.
Because it was the Twin Towers I knew that they were coming back to finish what they had started in '93.
And I just couldn't imagine anybody else doing that, and using aircraft and doing such a spectacular type of hit other than al Qaeda at that time, especially after being in Nairobi and seeing what they were capable of doing over there.
After the '93 bombing, I always in my minds eye tried to figure out if they had succeeded in doing what they wanted to do--collapsing one building into the other.
And I always tried to imagine what it would look like if they had succeeded in '93.
And, unfortunately, I got a chance to see what it looked like in '01.
- 09.22.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Walter Yovany Gomez
- 09.16.2016 — FBI in Thailand: Confronting the Child Sex Trade
- 09.16.2016 — John Schachnovsky, FBI Legal Attaché, Bangkok
- 09.16.2016 — Gen. Tamasak Wicharaya, Royal Thai Police
- 09.16.2016 — Glyn T. Davies, U.S. Ambassador to Thailand
- 09.13.2016 — Ernie Weyand, FBI Assistant Legal Attaché, Bangkok
- 09.13.2016 — Rick Snelsire, INL Director, U.S. Embassy in Bangkok
- 09.13.2016 — Major Gen. Monthon Ngernwattanam, Royal Thai Police
- 09.13.2016 — Boom, Child Advocacy Center Director
- 09.13.2016 — Investigation of United Flight 93
- 09.06.2016 — Future Agents in Training Get Inside Look Into the FBI
- 09.02.2016 — The FBI: A Career Like No Other
- 08.29.2016 — Robbery of Blue Fins Bait, Tackle, and Guns Shop in Dundalk, Maryland (FBI Baltimore)
- 08.25.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Nelio Martin Sotomayor-Sanchez
- 08.25.2016 — FBI, This Week: FBI Launches Bank Robbers Mobile App
- 08.18.2016 — FBI, This Week: Iris, the FBI's Electronics Detection Canine
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: The Opportunities for Linguists
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: What We Do and How to be Successful
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: Why My Work Matters
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: Serving My Country