Home St. Louis Press Releases 2012 St. Louis Man Pleads Guilty to the 2008 Bombing in a Clayton Parking Garage

St. Louis Man Pleads Guilty to the 2008 Bombing in a Clayton Parking Garage

U.S. Attorney’s Office September 11, 2012
  • Eastern District of Missouri

ST. LOUIS, MO—Milton Ohlsen, III entered a guilty plea to four counts involving the 2008 bombing in the Carondelet Plaza garage that injured Clayton attorney John L. Gillis.

With his plea, Ohlsen admitted that on October 15, 2008, he transported a bomb to the parking garage at 190 Carondelet with the intent that the bomb would cause death or serious bodily injury to the intended victim. He concealed the explosive device in a gift basket and placed the basket next to an Acura TL that he incorrectly believed belonged to the intended victim. On October 16, 2008, the bomb exploded and caused permanent bodily injury to John Gillis, who had moved the basket because it was blocking access to the driver’s door of his Acura TL.

“I am proud of the perseverance and dedication displayed by ATF and our partners throughout this investigation,” said ATF Special Agent in Charge Marino F. Vidoli. “While the innocent victim and his family have to live with the effects of this vicious act for the rest of their lives, this conviction will hopefully bring them a sense of justice.”

Milton Ohlsen, III pled guilty to one felony count each of transportation of explosive with intent to injure; malicious use of an explosive device; being a previously convicted felon in possession of an explosive; and possession of an unregistered destructive device, before United States District Judge E. Richard Webber. Sentencing has been set for December 13, 2012.

The original charges carried a penalty range of seven to 40 years in prison. However, as part of the plea agreement, the parties agreed to a sentence of 20 years’ imprisonment to be followed by up to five years of supervised release. Although the agreement must be approved by Judge Weber at sentencing, Judge Weber informed the parties that he intended to follow the agreement.

The case was investigated by ATF; the St. Louis County and Clayton Police Departments; and the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Evidence Response Team. Prosecutors from both the St. Louis County Prosecutor’s Office and the United States Attorney’s Office also assisted in the almost three- year-long investigation. Assistant United States Attorney Carrie Costantin is handling the case for the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.