The Firearms/Toolmarks Unit (FTU) applies valid scientific procedures to the forensic examinations of firearms, ammunition components, toolmarks, serial number restoration, gunshot residue, bullet trajectories, and other closely-related physical evidence in support of the FBI and other law enforcement agencies, and provides leadership to the forensic firearm and toolmark community through training and research.
Physical scientists/forensic examiners, physical science technicians, firearms specialist, and ammunition specialist.
The Work - Evidentiary Support
- Comparing bullets to barrels
- Comparing cartridge cases to firearms
- Firearms function testing
- Silencer testing
- Gunshot distance determination
- Serial number restoration
- Accidental discharge determination
- Trigger pull measurements
- Ejection pattern testing
- Shot pattern examinations