Contact the Record/Information Dissemination Section (RIDS)
The Record/Information Dissemination Section (RIDS) in the FBI Information Management Division is responsible for the release of records under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the Privacy Act.
To make a Freedom of Information Act or Privacy Act request, see Requesting FBI Records.
How to contact us for additional information:
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Record/Information Dissemination Section
170 Marcel Drive
Winchester, VA 22602-4483
Fax: (540) 868-4391/4997
- Section Chief, Record/Information Dissemination Section (RIDS)
David M. Hardy
- FOIA Requester Service Center (RSC): (540) 868-1535
Please call this number to access recorded information how to submit a new FOIA/PA request and general help topics to assist you in preparing and submitting your request to the FBI.
- FOIPA Public Information Officer (PIO): (540) 868-4593
Please call this number to talk with the PIO about the status of an existing FOIPA request or other FOIPA matters. Our PIO cannot answer questions about an Identity History Summary Check (aka, police background clearance/rap sheet) requests; all calls regarding a request for or to check the status of an Identity History Summary Check will be referred to the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division (CJIS), Clarksburg, WV at (304) 625-2000/5590. Additional information regarding an Identity History Summary Check is listed below. If the PIO is unavailable, please leave a brief message that includes your name, telephone number, and FOIPA Request Number (if applicable). Your telephone call will be returned promptly.
- Attention: If you are requesting an Identity History Summary Check, do not submit a Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Request to the Record/Information Dissemination Section. A separate application process is required for requesting an Identity History Summary Check and application instructions and necessary forms are accessible at http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks.
- An Identity History Summary Check—often referred to as a criminal history record, a police background clearance, police/good conduct certificate or “rap sheet”—is a listing of certain information taken from fingerprint submissions retained by the FBI in connection with arrests and, in some instances, federal employment, naturalization, or military service. It can also be used to satisfy a requirement to live, work, or travel in a foreign country, for employment or licensing within the U.S., or adopting a child in the U.S. or internationally. It may relate to a denial of a firearms purchase. The process of responding to an Identity History Summary Check is generally known as a criminal background check.
- When writing to CJIS, please use the following address:
FBI CJIS Division – Summary Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306
- FOIPA Public Liaison Officer (PLO): Assistant Section Chief Michael G. Seidel, (540) 868-2101
If a requester wants more information about a request after having contacted the FOIA Requester Service Center and PIO, please call the Public Liaison Officer, Michael G. Seidel, at (540) 868-2101.