Records Testimony Program
The Criminal Justice Information Services Division (CJIS) offers a Records Testimony Program for authorized law enforcement entities. Local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies can request an FBI certified tenprint examiner (CTPE) to provide written and/or verbal expert fingerprint testimony in connection with a court case. (CJIS does not handle latent fingerprint evidence.)
The Records Testimony Program is a start-to-finish process that includes certified and qualified examiners, standard operating manual for policies and procedures, multi-media productions for audio/visual needs, and logistics for mailing/handling evidence.
How to Submit a Request
All requests must contain the following minimum information:
- Expected trial/hearing date (a date must be provided before an examiner can be assigned)
- Originating Agency Identifier (ORI) of requesting agency
- Name and address of requesting agency
- Name and official title of requester (this individual/agency will receive a copy of the report)
- Contact information (telephone, fax, e-mail)
- Name, address, and contact information for the U.S. Attorney or State Attorney (who will receive a copy of the original report)
- Subject’s name;
- FBI number (if available)
- Tenprint fingerprint evidence to be examined
Requests submitted by e-mail to ck-Records-Testimony@ic.fbi.gov, by facsimile to (304) 625-8378, or by U.S. mail must be on official agency letterhead.
Or, complete the Records Testimony Request form.
CJIS requires a minimum of seven business days to prepare a written and/or verbal testimony. Written testimony may provide sufficient evidence for any future court proceedings; however, if it becomes necessary for a certified tenprint examiner to provide verbal testimony in court, please contact the Strategic Support Team as soon as possible as a subpoena will be required.
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
David R. Cotton, CTPE, BTC-4
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306
Fax: (304) 625-8378
Telephone: (304) 625-2540