Former Armored Car Driver, Together with His Wife and Son, Indicted in Connection with $3 Million Armored Car Theft
|U.S. Attorney’s Office December 07, 2010|
PORTLAND, OR—Archie Cabello, age 64, together with his wife Marian Cabello, age 58, and their son, Vincent Cabello, age 39, all of Portland, Oregon, were charged last week by a federal grand jury in a 51 count indictment with conspiracy to steal and possess bank money, false statements in credit card applications, filing a false tax return, and money laundering.
Archie and Vincent Cabello were arrested this morning in Portland, Oregon and are scheduled to appear in federal court this afternoon at 1:30 p.m. Marian Cabello was served with a summons to appear in court at the same time.
The indictment alleges that Archie and Vincent Cabello staged robberies of bank money from armored car companies, which were designed to make it look like other persons had stolen the money, when in fact the Cabellos took it:
(1) On August 5, 1995, Archie Cabello staged the robbery of approximately $157,839 from the armored car he was driving for Dunbar Federal Armored Express, Inc., in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
(2) On July 13, 1998, Vincent N. Cabello staged a robbery of approximately $730,000 from the vault at American Security Corporation in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he was working as a shipping and receiving clerk.
(3) On December 6, 2005, Archie Cabello staged a robbery of approximately $3 million from the armored car he was driving for Oregon Armored Services (OAS), in Portland, Oregon.
Thereafter, Archie, Marian, and Vincent Cabello allegedly possessed the stolen bank funds. The indictment further alleges that the Cabellos concealed the cash from these thefts by purchasing money orders which were used to pay most of their living expenses. They also obtained numerous credit cards using false names, false income figures, false employers, and other false financial information. They then used those credit cards to pay their living expenses, and paid the resulting credit card bills with money orders purchased for cash. The indictment alleges that more than $240,000 in expenditures can be traced to Archie and Marian Cabello over the years 2006 through 2009, during which time they reported total income on their tax returns of only $33,000.
“Bank thefts have real victims—the ordinary citizens and bank customers who have to pay more for bank services. This case shows that with patience and determination, law enforcement can unravel even the most carefully planned and concealed crime. It is impossible to spend the proceeds of crime without leaving a paper trail, and here the agents followed that trail to the Cabellos,” said U.S. Attorney Dwight Holton.
“In this economy, most Americans work very hard to earn a legal and respectable income,” said Arthur Balizan, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI in Oregon. “This case is a slap in the face to those people who honor the trust and responsibility their employers place in them.”
The conspiracy charge is punishable by five years in prison, and a $250,000 fine. The bank larceny and possession of stolen bank money charges have maximum penalties of 10 years in prison, and fines of up to $250,000. Each false credit application charge carries a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison and a $1,000,000 fine. The false tax return charge has a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Each of the money laundering charges has a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a $500,000 fine.
An indictment is an accusation of a crime and all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
The case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Internal Revenue Service - Criminal Investigations, and the Portland Police Bureau. It is being handled by Assistant U.S. Attorney Claire M. Fay.