FBI Releases 2010 Bank Crime Statistics
|Washington, D.C. April 05, 2011|
Today, the FBI released bank crime statistics for calendar year 2010. Between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2010, there were 5,546 robberies, 74 burglaries, eight larcenies, and 13 extortions of financial institutions1 reported to law enforcement. The total 5,628 reported violations represent a decrease from 2009, during which 6,065 violations of the Federal Bank Robbery and Incidental Crimes Statute were reported.
Highlights of the report include:
- Of the 5,628 total reported bank robberies, burglaries, and larcenies, loot was taken in 5,102 incidents (91 percent). Loot was taken during three of the 13 reported bank extortions.
- The total amount taken was valued at more than $43 million. More than $8 million was recovered and returned to financial institutions.
- During the reported bank robberies, burglaries, and larcenies, the following modus operandi were the most common: demand note (3,142 incidents); oral demand (3,096 incidents); firearm used (1,445 incidents); and use of a weapon threatened (2,461 incidents). Of the 13 reported extortions, perpetrators used or threatened the use of explosive devices during five incidents and made threats by telephone during eight incidents.2
- Acts of violence were committed during 236 (4 percent) of the reported robberies, burglaries, and larcenies. These acts included 71 instances involving the discharge of firearms, 145 instances involving assaults, one instance involving an explosive device, and 31 instances of hostage situations.3 No acts of violence occurred during the three reported bank extortions.
- Acts of violence resulted in 106 injuries, 16 deaths, and 90 persons being taken hostage. No injuries, deaths, or hostage takings occurred during the reported bank extortions.
- Most violations occurred on Friday. Regardless of the day of the week, violations between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. were the most common.
- Most violations occurred in the Southern region of the U.S., with 1,833 reported incidents.
These statistics were recorded as of March 16, 2011. Note that not all bank crimes are reported to the FBI, and therefore the report is not a complete statistical compilation of all bank crimes that occurred in the United States.
1 Financial institutions include commercial banks, mutual savings banks, savings and loan associations, and credit unions.
2 More than one modus operandi may have been used during an incident
3 One or more acts of violence may occur during an incident.