Home Minneapolis Press Releases 2011 Lower Brule Woman Sentenced on Assault Charge

Lower Brule Woman Sentenced on Assault Charge

U.S. Attorney’s Office December 21, 2011
  • District of South Dakota (605) 330-4400

U.S. Attorney Brendan V. Johnson announced that a Lower Brule woman charged with assaulting a federal officer was sentenced on December 19, 2011, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange. Jerilyn R. Grassrope, age 39, was sentenced to six months in custody and two years of supervised release.

Grassrope was indicted by a federal grand jury in August 2011. In September she pled guilty to an information.

The conviction stems from an incident on July 3, 2011. BIA Officer Carrick and another tribal officer responded to a call at the 8-plex in Lower Brule regarding two females who were drinking near the 8-plex, which is a dry facility. Upon arriving at the apartment, the officers made contact with two adult females—one identified as Grassrope—an adult male, and several children. There were beer cans and whiskey bottles scattered throughout the apartment.

Upon discovering that Grassrope was on tribal conditions of supervised release, BIA Officer Carrick advised Grassrope that she was under arrest for child endangerment and violation of a court order. Grassrope resisted while BIA Officer Carrick attempted to place her in handcuffs, repeatedly pulling away from BIA Officer Carrick who received a minor cut to her hand in the process.

BIA Officer Carrick attempted to assist Grassrope to the patrol car. Grassrope was still resisting and attempted to escape several times. Grassrope began kicking, striking BIA Officer Carrick two to three times. Grassrope kicked BIA Officer Carrick several more times while trying to escape from the vehicle. BIA Officer Carrick received kicks to her legs, arms, ribs, shoulder, and along her gun belt.

The investigation was conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Meghan N. Dilges.

Grassrope was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshal.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.