In this complex, globalized, post 9/11-world, our operational partnerships have never been more important to our efforts to protect your communities.
Today, we work with colleagues at every level of government—local, state, federal, even international—across the law enforcement, intelligence, and first responder communities. We lead and take part in multi-agency task forces, intelligence groups and fusion centers, and public and private sector alliances. A number of our partners literally sit shoulder-to-shoulder with us in FBI space, just as we share our agents and analysts with other agencies. We work closely on joint investigations—sometimes taking the lead, sometimes taking a back seat to others, sometimes contributing equally among many agencies. Our work with our colleagues, in fact, is so intertwined today that it’s often impossible to separate the contributions of one agency—and one nation—from the next.
In Miami, our major partnerships include:
- The South Florida Joint Terrorism Task Force brings together representatives of local, state, and federal agencies to run down any and all terrorism leads, develop and investigate cases, provide support for special events, and proactively identify threats that may impact the area and the nation.
- We participate in the FBI Counterintelligence Strategic Partnerships Program, which builds relationships between private industry, academia, government agencies, the FBI, and its counterintelligence community partners to identify and protect projects of great importance to the U.S. government.
- To battle cyber crime, we have a number of key partnerships:
- The is the local arm of a national information-sharing alliance between private industry, academia, and government focused on protecting the nation’s critical infrastructures against foreign or domestic attack. It supports all FBI investigative programs, especially counterterrorism, counterintelligence, and cyber crime.
- Our Cyber Crime Task Forces in Miami bring together local, state, and federal experts to combat computer intrusions, viruses, and other cyber threats. The ability to recovery and analyze digital evidence allows the successful prosecution of multiple cases.
- The Miami Division participates in the multi-agency South Florida Cargo Theft Task Force, which works to take down major cargo theft operations in the area. We also take part in the South American Theft Group Task Force, which targets organized jewel thieves from South American countries.
- We also lead or take part in several major partnerships targeting violent crime:
- Our Miami Violent Crimes Task Force combines detectives from the South Florida region and our special agents to pool expertise and resources in targeting street gangs and violent criminals of all kinds. Multiple gangs have been brought down as a result of the task force’s continued efforts.