In this complex, globalized, post 9/11 world, our operational partnerships have never been more important to our efforts to protect your communities.
Today, we work with colleagues at every level of government—local, state, federal, even international—across the law enforcement, intelligence, and first responder communities. We lead and take part in multi-agency task forces, intelligence groups and fusion centers, and public and private sector alliances. A number of our partners literally sit shoulder-to-shoulder with us in FBI space, just as we share our agents and analysts with other agencies. We work closely on joint investigations—sometimes taking the lead, sometimes taking a back seat to others, sometimes contributing equally among many agencies. Our work with our colleagues, in fact, is so intertwined today that it’s often nearly impossible to separate the contributions of one agency—and one nation—from the next.
In Knoxville, our major partnerships include:
- The Knoxville Field Intelligence Group is a team of FBI agents and analysts who provide a full range of intelligence support on terrorism and criminal threats to law enforcement and intelligence partners in 41 counties across the state.
- We participate in the FBI Counterintelligence Strategic Partnerships Program, which builds relationships between private industry, academia, government agencies, the FBI, and its counterintelligence community partners to identify and protect projects of great importance to the U.S. government.
- To battle cyber crime, we have a number of key partnerships:
- Our Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement Team (S.A.F.E.) is a multi-agency task force that combats crimes involving the sexual exploitation of children. One of the most successful preventative measures has been posing as teenagers in online undercover operations to catch predators before they strike.
- The Knoxville InfraGard Chapter is the local arm of a national information-sharing alliance between private industry, academia, and government focused on protecting critical national infrastructures in both the online and offline worlds.
- We also lead or take part in several major partnerships targeting violent crime:
- Our Knoxville Violent Crimes Task Force combines detectives from the Knox County Sheriff’s Department and the Knoxville Police Department with our special agents to pool expertise and resources in targeting street gangs and violent criminals of all kinds.