Crimes Aboard Aircraft
Did you know that the FBI investigates crimes committed aboard aircraft, in airports, and related to air travel?
Crimes During Flights
The FBI investigates the following violations if they’re committed during a flight:
- Sexual misconduct, including sexual assault; indecent exposure; lewd, indecent, sexual, or obscene acts; and indecent/sexual proposal to a minor
- Assault, including striking or hitting, throwing an object, grabbing or unwanted touching, and spitting
- Interference with flight crew members, including assault, threats or intimidation, and/or an attempt or conspiracy to do the same
We also investigate the following airport-based violations:
- Violence against persons and property at international airports. The FBI investigates this violation if:
- the victim or offender is a United States national
- or if the offender is located within the U.S.
- Interfering with airport security screening personnel ahead of a flight, including airport employees or airline employees working at the gate.
Report Incidents and Tips
- If you’ve been the victim of one of these crimes or have witnessed one take place, report it to your flight crew and the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI (225-5324) or tips.fbi.gov.
- Also reach out to the FBI if you observe any suspicious activity in an airport or during a flight.