Harry Potter Bandit in Custody
Investigators believe that the bank robber nicknamed the Harry Potter Bandit is in custody. Caleb Andrew Dierlam, 20, will appear in federal court in Seattle at 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 20.
On Wednesday, December 14, 2016, a joint team of federal and local law enforcement personnel arrested Dierlam at his residence in Mill Creek. He was booked in Snohomish County on probable cause for the July 25, 2016 robbery of Umpqua Bank on Alderwood Mall Parkway in Lynnwood, Washington. This morning, FBI agents transferred Dierlam to federal custody. At his appearance today, he will face three counts of bank robbery, charged by complaint.
Investigators believe Dierlam may be identifiable as the Harry Potter Bandit, who is considered responsible for at least six bank robberies in Washington State and Oregon. The FBI and the Seattle Safe Streets Task Force joined the Everett, Lakewood, Lynnwood, and Mount Vernon Police Departments in investigating the bandit’s string of robberies. In addition to the Lynnwood robbery, the following are attributed to the bandit:
- Thursday, August 25, 2016 – Union Bank on Evergreen Way, in Everett, Washington
- Friday, September 9, 2016 – Key Bank on College Way, in Mount Vernon, Washington
- Tuesday, October 11, 2016 – Key Bank on Gravelly Lake Drive SW, in Lakewood, Washington
- Tuesday, November 8, 2016 – Key Bank on SE Burnside Road, in Gresham, Oregon
- Tuesday, November 8, 2016 – U.S. Bank on SW Tualatin Valley Highway, in Beaverton, Oregon
Investigators continue to investigate Dierlam’s possible involvement in the additional bank robberies listed above.