March 10, 2015

Leader of Grape Street Crips in New Haven Sentenced to More Than 15 Years in Federal Prison

Deirdre M. Daly, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, today announced that DONALD OGMAN, also known as “Main” and “Mainy-O,” 33, of New Haven, was sentenced today by Senior U.S. District Judge Warren E. Eginton in Bridgeport to 188 months of imprisonment, followed by five years of supervised release, for heading a gang-related narcotics distribution ring.

According to court documents and statements made in court, this matter stems from an investigation conducted by the FBI New Haven Safe Streets Task Force and the New Haven Police Department into drug distribution and related violence allegedly being committed by members and associates of the Grape Street Crips in New Haven. The investigation revealed that OGMAN, who was identified as the leader of the Grape Street Crips, typically purchased bulk quantities of cocaine from different sources of supply, processed the cocaine into crack cocaine and then distributed the drug to gang members and other individuals in the Hill and other neighborhoods in New Haven.

Between March and September 2011, investigators made approximately 75 controlled purchases of crack cocaine from OGMAN and other members and associates of the Grape Street Crips operating in the Hill. In addition, court-authorized wiretaps intercepted numerous conversations between Grape Street Crips members discussing narcotics and other gang-related activity, including possible retaliation against members of the rival Bloods gang, and the acquisition of firearms.

Eighteen individuals were charged and pleaded guilty as a result of this investigation.

OGMAN has been detained since his arrest on March 28, 2012. On March 14, 2014, he pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute, and to distribute, 280 grams or more of cocaine base (“crack”) and a quantity of cocaine.

This matter has been investigated by the FBI’s New Haven Safe Streets Task Force, which includes the New Haven, Hamden and Milford Police Departments, the Connecticut State Police and the State of Connecticut Department of Correction. The investigation has been assisted by the U.S. Marshals Service and the Westerly (R.I.) Police Department.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Anthony E. Kaplan and H. Gordon Hall.