U.S. Attorney's Office
District of South Dakota
(605) 330-4400
December 10, 2015

St. Francis Man Sentenced to 262 Months for Second-Degree Murder

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a St. Francis, South Dakota, man convicted of two counts of Second Degree Murder was sentenced on December 7, 2015, by United States District Judge Roberto Lange.

Daryl Dean Fool Bull, age 33, was sentenced to 262 months in custody, followed by three years of supervised release, and a $200 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.

Fool Bull was indicted for two counts of Second Degree Murder and two counts of Assault with a Dangerous Weapon by a federal grand jury on April 14, 2015. He pled guilty to two counts of Second Degree Murder on September 14, 2015.

On the evening of March 30, 2015, and the morning of March 31, 2015, Daryl Fool Bull, Kirby Sharpfish, Russell Sharpfish, and Crystal Sharpfish were drinking together at a residence in Todd County, South Dakota. Kirby, Russell, and Crystal were siblings. Crystal and Fool Bull were in a dating relationship and had children together.

Fool Bull, Russell, Kirby and Crystal became heavily intoxicated. At approximately 10:00 a.m. on March 31, 2015, Fool Bull became upset and without provocation, he repeatedly stabbed Russell Sharpfish and Kirby Sharpfish with a kitchen knife. Two minor children were present in the home. During the altercation, one child woke up and went into the living room. Crystal was lying face down on the floor and Fool Bull was standing beside her, holding a knife in his hand. Russell was kneeling on the ground with blood “squirting” from his neck. Kirby was in an armchair and was deceased. The child then went to a bedroom and called 911.

An ambulance and law enforcement officers arrived a short time later. Fool Bull and Crystal were not found in the home. Both Russell and Kirby were pronounced dead at the scene. Russell died from 28 stab wounds to the head, neck, back, hands, and forearms. Kirby died from 14 stab wounds to the neck and head. A knife covered in blood was located behind the back door of the residence.

Responding officers with the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services searched the surrounding area for Crystal and Fool Bull, who were located in a field west of the residence. Fool Bull had dried blood on his clothing and his hands. Crystal had numerous scrapes along her body that were incurred when Fool Bull dragged her through the field.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services. Assistant U.S. Attorney Carrie Sanderson prosecuted the case.

Fool Bull was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.