U.S. Attorney's Office
District of South Dakota
(605) 330-4400
December 10, 2015

Minnesota Man Sentenced for Assault with a Dangerous Weapon and Mobridge Woman Sentenced for Misprision of a Felony

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a Minneapolis, Minnesota, man convicted of Assault with a Dangerous Weapon, and a Mobridge, South Dakota, woman convicted of Misprision of a Felony were sentenced on November 30, 2015, by U.S. District Judge Charles B. Kornmann.

Clayton Montreal, age 29, was sentenced to 20 months in custody, followed by three years of supervised release, and a special assessment of $100 to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.

Wyndee Sitting Dog, age 32, was sentenced to time served and a special assessment of $100 to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.

Montreal and Sitting Dog, along with a third Defendant were indicted by a federal grand jury on April 15, 2014. They pled guilty on August 24, 2015.

Montreal’s conviction stemmed from an incident on March 26, 2014, when Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) police were dispatched to a private residence in McLaughlin, South Dakota. Upon arrival, the BIA officer made contact with the victim, who reported she had been assaulted. Through an investigation, it was discovered that Montreal came to a residence the victim was at the night before. She got into a van with Montreal and they eventually got into a verbal argument, which escalated to a physical altercation. During the fight, Montreal punched and also kicked the victim. As a result of the assault, the victim sustained bruising to various parts of her body.

Sitting Dog’s conviction stemmed from the same incident. Montreal, along with Sitting Dog, stopped by the victim’s house and told her to get into a vehicle outside the residence. The victim got in the van and Montreal got into an argument with her over a missing sum of money. Sitting Dog was present and observed Montreal commit the assault on the victim. Sitting Dog knew the actions being committed by Montreal were a violation of law and that she should report these actions immediately to law enforcement. She was later interviewed and told the special agent she did not intervene in the argument, nor did she seek help for the victim. At no time did Sitting Dog report the felonious assault to law enforcement, or another person in civil authority under the United States.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorney Troy R. Morley prosecuted the case.

Montreal was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.