The FBI and Police Seek Tips to Identify the Green Gaiter Bandit, Suspected in More Than a Dozen Bank Robberies or Attempts
An unidentified suspect who investigators believe conducted at least 14 bank robberies or attempts in Orange and Los Angeles Counties since October is being sought by the FBI and multiple law enforcement partners whose officers and detectives responded to the banks with agents in various cities.
The FBI has given the suspect the moniker, “Green Gaiter Bandit,” based on the green face/neck covering he can be seen wearing in some bank surveillance photos, which are being provided to the public. It should be noted that the suspect wears a variety of gaiters covering his neck and face in different banks on different dates, including a green one. He has also worn gaiters or a mask in other colors or designs as witnesses have described and as bank surveillance photos illustrate.
Over the past three months, the Green Gaiter Bandit is suspected in the following bank robberies or attempts, including on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve:
- January 21, 2022, Wells Fargo 1396 North Rose Drive Placentia (attempt)
- January 20, 2022, Wells Fargo 2170 Harbor Costa Mesa (attempt)
- January 10, 2022, Chase 1310 West Artesia Gardena
- January 7, 2022, U.S. Bank 25972 Muirlands Boulevard Mission Viejo
- December 31, 2021, Wells Fargo 2300 Harbor Boulevard Costa Mesa
- December 31, 2021, Chase 2121 Torrance Boulevard Torrance
- December 30, 2021, Wells Fargo 9971 Adams Avenue Huntington Beach
- December 24, 2021, Wells Fargo 2300 Harbor Boulevard Costa Mesa (attempt)
- December 23, 2021, Wells Fargo 1403 Sartori Torrance
- December 17, 2021, Wells Fargo 2970 Harbor Boulevard Costa Mesa
- December 3, 2021, Chase 2970 Harbor Boulevard Costa Mesa
- December 3, 2021, Chase 21502 Brookhurst Boulevard Huntington Beach (attempt)
- October 30, 2021, Chase Bank 21502 Brookhurst Boulevard Huntington Beach
- October 11, 2021, Union Bank 911 North Harbor Fullerton (attempt)
The Green Gaiter Bandit has been further identified as a white male, between 50 and 60 years old, approximately 6’0" tall, with a medium to heavy build and gray hair. In some of the bank robberies, the suspect is wearing a tan jacket. He wears a variation of workwear-style clothing and, as noted, a variety of gaiters covering his neck and face, including a green one.
During the robberies, the suspect typically approaches a victim teller and either passes a note or makes a verbal demand, or both. In some cases, the suspect verbally demands cash or the “loose bills.” After receiving the cash or an attempt, the suspect has been seen fleeing the bank on foot.
If anyone has information about the identity or the whereabouts of the Green Gaiter Bandit, please contact law enforcement. In Los Angeles and Orange Counties, the FBI can be reached at (310) 477-6565.
This investigation is being conducted by the FBI; the Huntington Beach Police Department; the Costa Mesa Police Department; the Orange County Sheriff’s Department; the Gardena Police Department; the Placentia Police Department; the Fullerton Police Department; and the Torrance Police Department.