Central Florida Law Enforcement Agencies Join Forces to Present Who’s Targeting You?
The Latest Tricks Fraudsters Are Using to Get Your Hard-Earned Money!
THE VILLAGES, FL—Federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies in Central Florida are joining forces to educate local seniors and their loved ones on the latest scams and technology that cyber criminals are exploiting to target their pocketbooks. According to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), 92,371 Americans over the age of 60 reported losing $1.7 billion total to financial scams in 2021, which was nearly 75 percent more than in 2020. Also in 2021, Florida ranked second highest in the country, with 9,645 victims reporting $224,205,716 lost.
To prevent more Floridians from falling victim to elder fraud, the Federal Bureau of Investigation Jacksonville Division (FBI), U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Florida (USAO), State Attorney’s Office for the Fifth Judicial Circuit (SAO), Lake County Sheriff’s Office (LCSO), Marion County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO), and the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO) will co-host “Who’s Targeting You? The latest tricks fraudsters are using to get your hard-earned money!” on April 20 in The Villages. The event is first-of-its-kind joint initiative that will include presentations and discussions with financial fraud investigators and crime prevention experts, as well as educational displays. Senior caregivers, family members, educators, and community leaders are also encouraged to attend to help encourage ongoing communication and reinforce safety and prevention protocols in the future.
- Event: Who’s Targeting You? The latest tricks fraudsters are using to get your hard-earned money!
- Date / Time: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Location: Savannah Center, 1545 N. Buena Vista Boulevard, The Villages, Florida 32162
- Instructions: This event is free and open to the public. Registration is not required, but please arrive early to secure seating. Media interviews are available upon request to FBI-PAO Videll.
- FBI Elder Fraud: https://www.fbi.gov/how-we-can-help-you/safety-resources/scams-and-safety/common-scams-and-crimes/elder-fraud
- FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) 2021 Elder Fraud Report: https://www.ic3.gov/Media/PDF/AnnualReport/2021_IC3ElderFraudReport.pdf
- Marion County Crime Prevention: www.marionso.com/crime-prevention.