U.S. Attorney’s Office
Western District of New York
(716) 843-5700
December 8, 2015

Palmyra Man Sentenced for Possession of Child Pornography

ROCHESTER, NY—U.S. Attorney William J. Hochul, Jr. announced today that Noah R. Scribner, 23, of Palmyra, NY, who was convicted of possession of child pornography, was sentenced to time served and 96 months of supervised release by U.S. District Court Judge David G. Larimer. The defendant must also register as a sex offender, and was ordered to forfeit all the digital media used in the commission of the crime.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Craig R. Gestring, handled the case, stated that the New York State Police and Federal Bureau of Investigation conducted an online child pornography investigation in December 2013. During that case, they learned that child pornography had been uploaded to a Google cloud drive account. Investigators linked that activity to the defendant, and traced his physical location to a residence in Palmyra. A search warrant was executed and numerous digital items were seized.

During the investigation, Scribner told law enforcement officers that he found the child pornography images and videos online by using certain search terms. The defendant also admitted that he would ask other online users to send him online “links” to other child pornography sites and images. Scribner acknowledged that, in return, he would send those users links with child pornography as well. The defendant estimated that he traded child pornography with others 100 times or more and said that the people he communicated with online (about child pornography) could be from anywhere in the world. At the time he downloaded the images, Scribner believed what he was downloading constituted child pornography.

A forensic review of the digital material seized from Scribner located images of children being sexually abused on several items, including a laptop and Apple iPod. Some of the images depicted prepubescent minors or minors under twelve years old being raped, as well as images which portrayed sadistic or masochistic conduct or other depictions of violence.

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice. Led by United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section (CEOS), Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, as well as to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.projectsafechildhood.gov.

The plea is the culmination of an investigation by the New York State Police, under the direction of Major Craig Hanesworth and the Federal Bureau of Investigations Child Exploitation Task Force consisting of the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, the Rochester Police Department, the Greece Police Department and Homeland Security Investigations.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.