Home Columbia Press Releases 2013 Chester Man Sentenced to 30 Months on Federal Firearm Charge

Chester Man Sentenced to 30 Months on Federal Firearm Charge

U.S. Attorney’s Office November 06, 2013
  • District of South Carolina (803) 929-3000

COLUMBIA, SC—United States Attorney Bill Nettles stated today that Jasper Lamar Reeves, a/k/a “Jack Reeves,” age 62, of Chester, South Carolina, was sentenced today in federal court to 30 months’ imprisonment, which will be followed by three years of supervised release. In August, Reeves pled guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 922(g)(1) and 924(a)(2). Senior United States District Judge Cameron McGowan Currie of Columbia imposed the sentence.

Evidence presented at the earlier change of plea hearing and today’s sentencing hearing established that on March 28, 2012, special agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation interviewed Reeves after he sent an e-mail to the Rock Hill NAACP outlining his thoughts of potentially doing harm to individuals at his former employer’s place of business. During the interview, agents learned that Reeves, a prohibited felon, had a firearm at his home. Agents seized the firearm, and Reeves was thereafter arrested on the federal charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Reeves is prohibited under federal law from possessing firearms and/or ammunition based upon his 1995 North Carolina federal conviction for interference of commerce by threats or violence (Hobbes Act Extortion), where he impersonated an Assistant United States Attorney and has state prior convictions for presenting false claim for payment, breaking and entering, larceny, falsifying/altering a transcript, and harassment in the second degree.

The case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and was prosecuted as part of the joint federal, state, and local Project CeaseFire initiative, which aggressively prosecutes firearm cases. Assistant United States Attorney Stacey D. Haynes of the Columbia Office handled the case.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.