Medina Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Child Porngraphy Offenses
|U.S. Attorney’s Office September 26, 2013|
A Medina man was sentenced to 14 years in prison for crimes related to child pornography, law enforcement officials said today.
Richard J. Miezin, 48, was previously found guilty of receiving, distributing, and possessing visual depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct, as well as making false statements and representations to the Federal Bureau of Investigation during their investigation.
Miezin knowingly distributed, by computer, numerous computer files that contained visual depictions of real minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct from April 27, 2010 through February 25, 2011, according to court documents.
“This sentence should send a message to those who would victimize children,” said Steven M. Dettelbach, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio.
“Victims of child pornography are repeatedly harmed when images of their abuse are distributed over the Internet,” said Stephen D. Anthony, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI’s Cleveland Office. “Individuals like Richard Miezin, who choose to engage in such despicable behavior, will be brought to justice.”
“Protecting our children from this type of exploitation is one of my highest priorities,” said Medina County Sheriff Tom Miller. “I remain committed to combating those who would seek to victimize the most innocent among us.”
This case is the result of was a joint effort of the Medina County Sheriff’s Office and the Akron Office of the FBI’s Crimes Against Children Task Force. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Carol M. Skutnik.
Targeting child predators is a priority of this newly established task force with the Medina County Sheriff and FBI. This task force will utilize all available investigative, technical, and community resources to protect the children in our communities.