In this complex, globalized, post 9/11 world, our operational partnerships have never been more important to our efforts to protect your communities.
Today, we work with colleagues at every level of government—local, state, federal, even international—across the law enforcement, intelligence, and first responder communities. We lead and take part in multi-agency task forces, intelligence groups and fusion centers, and public and private sector alliances. A number of our partners literally sit shoulder-to-shoulder with us in FBI space, just as we share our agents and analysts with other agencies. We work closely on joint investigations—sometimes taking the lead, sometimes taking a back seat to others, sometimes contributing equally among many agencies. Our work with our colleagues, in fact, is so intertwined today that it’s often nearly impossible to separate the contributions of one agency—and one nation—from the next.
In Buffalo, our major partnerships include:
- Our Joint Terrorism Task Forces (JTTFs) bring together representatives from multiple local, state, and federal agencies to run down any and all terrorism leads, develop and investigate cases, provide support for special events, and proactively identify threats that may impact the area and the nation.
- Our Buffalo JTTF partner agencies include the Amherst Police Department, Buffalo Police Department, Diplomatic Security Service, Erie County Sheriff’s Office, Federal Protective Service, Homeland Security Investigations, Internal Revenue Service, New York State Police, Niagara County Sheriff’s Office, Niagara Falls Police Department, U.S. Border Patrol, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection/Air and Marine Branch.
- Our Rochester JTTF partner agencies include the Greece Police Department, Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, New York State Police, Rochester Police Department, U.S. Border Patrol, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
- Our Child Exploitation Task Forces (CETFs) in Buffalo and Rochester provide a rapid and effective investigative response to reported federal crimes involving the victimization of children. The task forces strive to reduce the vulnerability of children to acts of sexual exploitation and abuse, and strengthen the capabilities of federal, state, and local law enforcement through training programs and investigative assistance.
- Our Buffalo CETF partner agencies include the Buffalo Police Department, Cheektowaga Police Department, and Niagara County Sheriff’s Office.
- Our Rochester CETF partner agencies include the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, the Rochester Police Department, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement-Homeland Security Investigations.
- The Buffalo Field Intelligence Group, a team of FBI agents and analysts, provides a full range of intelligence support on terrorism and criminal threats.
- The Buffalo Division participates in the FBI Counterintelligence Strategic Partnership Program, a national partnership between private industry, academia, government agencies, the FBI, and its counterintelligence community partners to identify and protect projects of great importance to the U.S. government.
- The Western New York Health Care Fraud Task Force works closely with private insurers and local and state law enforcement to combat widespread fraud in the health care industry.
- Our law enforcement partners include the New York State Attorney General’s Office–Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, New York State Department of Financial Services, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services–Office of Inspector General–Office of Investigations, U.S. Department of Labor-Office of Inspector General, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Our regulatory partners include the New York State Education Department-Office of Professional Discipline, New York State Office of the Medicaid Inspector General, and New York State Workers Compensation Board.
- Our private industry partners include Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Western New York-Special Investigations Unit, GEICO-Special Investigations Unit, Independent Health-Special Investigations Unit, MVP Health Care-Special Investigations Unit, National Insurance Crime Bureau, and Universal Healthcare-Special Investigations Unit.
- To battle cyber crime, we have a number of key partnerships:
- Our Cyber Task Force in Buffalo brings together local, state, and federal intelligence community experts to combat computer intrusions, viruses, and other cyber threats.
- The Buffalo Division is also home to one of several Regional Computer Forensics Laboratories (RCFLs) across the country. RCFLs are one-stop, full-service forensics laboratories and training centers devoted to the examination of digital evidence in support of law enforcement investigations. The Western New York RCFL combines the talents and experience of federal, state, and local law enforcement officers and handles investigations such as of terrorism, child pornography, fraud, trade secret and intellectual property theft, and financial, property, cyber, and violent crimes. The duties of RCFL personnel includes seizing and collecting digital evidence at a crime scene, conducting an impartial examination of submitted computer evidence, and testifying as required.
- Our Western New York RCFL partners include the Buffalo Police Department, Erie County Sheriff’s Office, Monroe County Department of Public Safety, New York State Police, New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, and Niagara County Sheriff’s Office.
- The Buffalo InfraGard Chapter and Rochester InfraGard Chapter are local arms a national information-sharing alliance between private industry, academia, and government focused on protecting critical national infrastructures in both the online and offline worlds.
- Buffalo’s Safe Streets Task Force (SSTF)—composed of local, state, and federal agencies—shares expertise and resources and uses a proactive, multi-agency coordinated approach to target, disrupt, and dismantle criminal enterprises such as violent street gangs.
- Our SSTF partner agencies include the Amherst Police Department; Buffalo Police Department; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; Cheektowaga Police Department; Erie County Sheriff’s Office; Hamburg Police Department; Lancaster Police Department; Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority; New York State Department of Correctional Services; New York State Police; and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement–Homeland Security Investigations.
- Rochester Area Major Crimes Task Force (RAMCTF)
- Our RAMCTF partners include the New York State Police, Rochester Police Department, Gates Police Department, Greece Police Department, and the Irondequoit Police Department.