Watch Out for Internet Scams - II
February 13, 2009
Don’t believe everything you see on the Internet. In the FBI’s Cyber Division is the IC3, the Internet Crime Complaint Center and the folks there investigate cyberspace scams...
Mr. Schiff: Hint: Don’t believe everything you see on the Internet. In the FBI’s Cyber Division is the IC3, the Internet Crime Complaint Center and the folks there investigate cyberspace scams...
Mr. Pavelites: "Instead of just Phishing, people are doing something called Vishing and sometimes they’ve created a new one called Svishing, which are all different ways to get you to give up your money and private information.”
Mr. Schiff: That’s Charles Pavelites, Acting Chief of the IC3 and says there’s a rash of Work-at-Home scams...
Mr. Pavelites: "They don’t have a bank account set up in America so they need managers to handle that; they can’t ship materials directly to their country because there’s a technical prohibition so they just need people to re-ship.”
Mr. Schiff: Pavelites says mostly these e-mails are written by someone in another country...
Mr. Pavelites: "It doesn’t sound right to you. And when you read it out loud you hear that.”
Mr. Schiff: If you’re a scam victim, contact www.IC3.gov. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that’s what’s happening at the “FBI, This Week.”
- 04.24.2017 — El FBI se parece a usted (En Español)
- 04.21.2017 — Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruiting Radio Ad
- 04.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bhadreshkumar Patel Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.18.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Bhadreshkumar Chetanbhai Patel
- 04.12.2017 — FBI, This Week: Walter Yovany Gomez Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List