Threatening Phone Calls to Chinese-Americans - I
May 29, 2009
Chinese-Americans in the United States have recently been receiving threats over the telephone. FBI Special Agent Dean Phillips is the Chief of the Asian-African Criminal Enterprise Unit in the FBI’s Criminal Investigative Division.
Mr. Schiff: Chinese-Americans in the United States have recently been receiving threats over the telephone. FBI Special Agent Dean Phillips is the Chief of the Asian-African Criminal Enterprise Unit in the FBI’s Criminal Investigative Division.
Mr. Phillips: “ It’s actually from coast to coast and north to south .”
Mr. Schiff: Phillips says these phone calls, about a thousand so far, are not recorded, but live, and apparently coming from the Far East.
Mr. Phillips: “ It seems like right now the calls are being made through Voice Over Internet Protocol, and the calls actually would be originating from China .”
Mr. Schiff: Phillips says the FBI looks at this as organized crime activity.
Mr. Phillips: “The volume of calls really requires several people to be involved. I mean, it isn’t one or two people who could be doing all these phone calls. Furthermore, when you look at the activity itself—extortion, threats of violence—those are traditional organized crime/racketeering-type activities . ”
Mr. Schiff: Calls are coming to Chinese-Americans in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and other cities. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau, and that’s what’s happening at the “FBI, This Week .”
- 07.12.2018 — Se Busca por el FBI: Antwan Mims ha Sido Agregado a la Lista de los Diez Prófugos más Buscados
- 07.12.2018 — FBI, This Week: National Skimming Initiative Launched
- 07.06.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2018 Honors Internship Program
- 06.27.2018 — FBI, This Week: Antwan Mims Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 06.27.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Available for Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Antwan Mims