The Relationship Between Law Enforcement and Diverse Communities
February 12, 2015
FBI Director James Comey says Americans must have open and honest discussions about the complicated relationship between law enforcement and diverse communities.
Mollie Halpern: FBI Director James Comey says Americans must have open and honest discussions about the complicated relationship between law enforcement and diverse communities. Addressing an audience at Georgetown University, Director Comey went on to say that the country must face some hard truths in order to improve that relationship…
Director James Comey: Those conversations—as bumpy and uncomfortable as they can be—help us understand different perspectives and better serve our communities. Of course, they are only conversations in the true sense of that word if we are willing not only to talk but to listen, too.
Halpern: To better understand the circumstances and scope of violent encounters between police and citizens, Comey emphasized the need for data collection.
Comey: I intend for the FBI to be the leader in urging departments around this country to give us the facts we need for informed discussion and to help us make sound policy and sound decisions with that information.
Halpern: Director Comey’s entire speech can be found on www.fbi.gov. From FBI Headquarters, I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau with FBI, This Week.
- 05.25.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: National Missing Children’s Day
- 05.25.2017 — FBI, This Week: National Missing Children’s Day
- 05.24.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: El FBI Lanza una Nueva Iniciativa Contra la Trata de Personas con Fines de Explotación Laboral
- 05.18.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Delincuencia Organizada de Ventas al Detalle Puede Presentar Peligros a la Salud
- 05.18.2017 — FBI, This Week: Preliminary Statistics for Law Enforcement Officers Killed in the Line of Duty in 2016 Released