Synthetic Biology II
August 27, 2010
Synthetic biology is an emerging technology in which engineering principles are applied to biology.
Ms. Ballew: Synthetic biology is an emerging technology in which engineering principles are applied to biology.
Mr. You: “What is the state of the art in synthetic biology? Can we identify some of the risks and challenges that are involved?”
Ms. Ballew: To address these questions, Supervisory Special Agent Edward You says the FBI works with members of academia, industry, amateur biologists…
Mr. You: “And also state and local law enforcement and public health, coming to an understanding of, from their perspective, what are the challenges, what are the issues.”
Ms. Ballew: One issue is possible vulnerabilities.
Mr. You: “As things get cheaper and easier to do, now you have the challenge of addressing the potential that there may be a group or individual that will exploit that ability to do harm.”
Ms. Ballew: The joint partnerships look for solutions that make sense to security and research communities.
Mr. You: “By working together, how do we then come up with ways to mitigate and manage these issues and risks in a way that addresses safety and security but does not have a negative impact on their research endeavors?”
Ms. Ballew: I ’m Denise Ballew of the Bureau and that’s what’s happening at the “FBI, This Week.”
- 11.15.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2017 Hate Crime Statistics Released
- 11.08.2018 — FBI, This Week: Serving with STEM
- 11.07.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Search Intensifies for Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Greg Carlson
- 11.02.2018 — FBI, This Week: FBI Combats Chinese Economic Espionage as Part of New Initiative
- 11.01.2018 — Esta Semana en el FBI: El FBI Patrocina Eventos Relacionados con su Programa de Promoción de Diversidad en el Reclutamiento de Agentes Especiales