Payday Loan Scams
January 14, 2011
A payday loan covers expenses until payday.
Ms. Halpern: You’re listening to “FBI, This Week.” Payday loan scams—crime reported in high numbers to the Bureau’s Internet Crime Complaint Center. A payday loan covers expenses until payday. Those in need of fast cash [typing sounds] can search the Internet for a company that offers the loans, but as Supervisory Special Agent Charles Pavelites explains…
Mr. Pavelites: “There are a lot of fake websites out there picking up your information.”
Ms. Halpern: The scammers collect all they need to make it appear you got a loan—even if you did not. Then, their harassment begins.
Mr. Pavelites: “They’re now calling you up and they say, ‘You took a payday loan out with us, you’re behind paying us.’ And these fraudsters keep the pressure up: [phone rings] they will call your home, they will call your cell phone, they will call your place of employment.”
Ms. Halpern: Victims have recourse.
Mr. Pavelites: “Contact your banking institution, contact your credit agency, the credit bureaus.”
Ms. Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI, and that’s what’s happening at the “FBI, This Week.”
- 12.20.2018 — FBI, This Week: Remembering the Victims of Pan Am Flight 103
- 12.13.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2017 NIBRS Crime Data Released
- 12.07.2018 — FBI, This Week: High School Class Collaborates with FBI Profilers
- 11.30.2018 — FBI, This Week: The Visiting Scientist Program
- 11.28.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Iranians Indicted for SamSam Ransomware Hacking and Extortion Scheme