Payday Loan Scams
January 14, 2011
A payday loan covers expenses until payday.
Ms. Halpern: You’re listening to “FBI, This Week.” Payday loan scams—crime reported in high numbers to the Bureau’s Internet Crime Complaint Center. A payday loan covers expenses until payday. Those in need of fast cash [typing sounds] can search the Internet for a company that offers the loans, but as Supervisory Special Agent Charles Pavelites explains…
Mr. Pavelites: “There are a lot of fake websites out there picking up your information.”
Ms. Halpern: The scammers collect all they need to make it appear you got a loan—even if you did not. Then, their harassment begins.
Mr. Pavelites: “They’re now calling you up and they say, ‘You took a payday loan out with us, you’re behind paying us.’ And these fraudsters keep the pressure up: [phone rings] they will call your home, they will call your cell phone, they will call your place of employment.”
Ms. Halpern: Victims have recourse.
Mr. Pavelites: “Contact your banking institution, contact your credit agency, the credit bureaus.”
Ms. Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI, and that’s what’s happening at the “FBI, This Week.”
- 07.27.2017 — FBI, This Week: One-Year Anniversary of Prescription Drug Initiative
- 07.26.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Hogan’s Alley—El Pueblo Más Malo en América
- 07.21.2017 — Se Busca por el FBI: Se Ofrece Recompensa en la Investigación del Homicidio de Maurice Spagnoletti
- 07.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: AlphaBay Criminal Marketplace Takedown
- 07.19.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Academia Nacional Marca un Hito