25th Anniversary of the Miami Shootout
April 15, 2011
The FBI honors the lives and careers of two special agents, Ben Grogan and Jerry Dove, who were killed in the line of duty 25 years ago this week.
Mollie Halpern: The FBI honors the lives and careers of two special agents, Ben Grogan and Jerry Dove, who were killed in the line of duty 25 years ago this week. Director Robert Mueller…
Director Robert S. Mueller: Both men put country before self. They put courage before fear. They put the safety of their community before their own.
Halpern: Grogan, Dove, and six other agents were on a stakeout for two suspects who had shot, killed, and robbed during a crime spree in Miami. When the agents closed in on the men, a gun battle ensued. When it was all over, two agents were shot to death, five wounded, and the suspects dead. It is one of the most violent shootouts in FBI history. Retired Special Agent John Hanlon will never forget it.
John Hanlon: I’ve had 25 years, Grogan and Dove didn’t. And I’m here because they had a sense of duty.
Halpern: Thirty-six agents have been killed in adversarial action. The FBI pays tribute to their heroism. I’m Mollie Halpern of Bureau, thanks for listening to “FBI, This Week”.
- 01.19.2017 — FBI, This Week: National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
- 01.12.2017 — FBI, This Week: Organized Retail Crime Can Create Health Dangers for Consumers
- 01.05.2017 — FBI, This Week: Highway Serial Killings Initiative
- 12.29.2016 — FBI, This Week: Report Border Corruption
- 12.23.2016 — Se Busca por el FBI: Robert Francis Van Wisse en la Lista de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados