Loan Modification Fraud
March 21, 2013
A mortgage loan modification fraud scheme is hurting homeowners across the country.
Mollie Halpern: This is FBI, This Week and I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau with a consumer alert about a mortgage loan modification fraud scheme hurting homeowners across the country.
Richard Cornelius: This scheme targets those that are the most financially distressed and exploits them.
Halpern: Distressed homeowners are getting cold calls with promises to modify or refinance their current mortgage at a low rate through well known financial institutions. It comes under the guise of the federal Homeowner Assistance and Loan Modification Program, or HAMP. Special Agent Richard Cornelius…
Cornelius: The subjects use this program and rely on its legitimacy to allow the scheme to progress.
Halpern: The perpetrators, located in California, use aliases such as Adam Kennedy and Daniel White. They also call their company by different names, the most recent being United Plus. They ask for advance payment, which is a red flag.
Cornelius: Another red flag is if the company instructs you not to contact your lender.
Halpern: If you think you’re a victim, call 1-877-236-8947 or visit www.fbi.gov.
- 04.28.2017 — FBI, This Week: 2016 Director’s Community Leadership Awards
- 04.28.2017 — Inside the FBI: 2016 Director’s Community Leadership Awards
- 04.24.2017 — El FBI se parece a usted (En Español)
- 04.21.2017 — Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruiting Radio Ad
- 04.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bhadreshkumar Patel Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List