Fugitive Felicien Kabuga and the International Human Rights Unit
September 5, 2014
As the world solemnly marks the 20th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide this year, the FBI searches for the suspected financial backer of the atrocities.
Mollie Halpern: As the world solemnly marks the 20th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide this year, the FBI searches for the suspected financial backer of the atrocities.
Felicien Kabuga is an international fugitive wanted for his participation in the murders of more than 800,000 Rwandans during the 1994 genocide. The wealthy businessman allegedly supplied weapons to Hutu extremists who carried out the massacres.
The FBI is investigating Kabuga’s whereabouts through our International Human Rights Unit—which is responsible for investigating people and/or organizations conducting international human rights violations anywhere around the globe. Unit Chief Mark Nowak…
Mark Nowak: Even when there is not a U.S. criminal violation, we aid our international law enforcement colleagues in efforts to hold accountable those that have hurt, through a variety of atrocities, innocent human beings.
Halpern: If you have information about Kabuga, contact your local field office or the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
Nowak: It is through nuggets of information that honest and peace-loving persons throughout the world are willing to provide to us. It's only when they risk giving of themselves in this way to the greater good that the FBI and the international community are in a position to hold those accountable for the crimes they’ve committed.
Halpern: From FBI Headquarters, I’m Mollie Halpern with FBI, This Week.
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Virtual Kidnapping for Ransom Schemes
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted Report Released
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Critical Supplies to Those Impacted by Hurricane Maria
- 10.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Endangered Child Alert Program Seeks Information on Jane Doe 39
- 10.10.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Tenga Cuidado con el Fraude por Parte de Organizaciones Benéficas como Resultado de los Huracanes