Fugitive Felicien Kabuga and the International Human Rights Unit
September 5, 2014
As the world solemnly marks the 20th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide this year, the FBI searches for the suspected financial backer of the atrocities.
Mollie Halpern: As the world solemnly marks the 20th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide this year, the FBI searches for the suspected financial backer of the atrocities.
Felicien Kabuga is an international fugitive wanted for his participation in the murders of more than 800,000 Rwandans during the 1994 genocide. The wealthy businessman allegedly supplied weapons to Hutu extremists who carried out the massacres.
The FBI is investigating Kabuga’s whereabouts through our International Human Rights Unit—which is responsible for investigating people and/or organizations conducting international human rights violations anywhere around the globe. Unit Chief Mark Nowak…
Mark Nowak: Even when there is not a U.S. criminal violation, we aid our international law enforcement colleagues in efforts to hold accountable those that have hurt, through a variety of atrocities, innocent human beings.
Halpern: If you have information about Kabuga, contact your local field office or the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
Nowak: It is through nuggets of information that honest and peace-loving persons throughout the world are willing to provide to us. It's only when they risk giving of themselves in this way to the greater good that the FBI and the international community are in a position to hold those accountable for the crimes they’ve committed.
Halpern: From FBI Headquarters, I’m Mollie Halpern with FBI, This Week.
- 06.14.2018 — FBI, This Week: Director Wray Responds to Inspector General’s Report
- 06.08.2018 — FBI, This Week: Remembering David LeValley as 9/11-Related Deaths Increase
- 05.31.2018 — FBI, This Week: Malware Targets Internet and Cable Routers
- 05.31.2018 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Por Medio de una Campaña se Abordan las Consecuencias de las Amenaza
- 05.25.2018 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Alianza con NCMEC Ayuda a Proteger a los Menores de Edad