Cyber Monday Shopping Tips
November 23, 2011
Just as shoppers take advantage of sales during the online holiday shopping season, cyber criminals will try to take advantage of them.
Mollie Halpern: Just as shoppers take advantage of sales during the online holiday shopping season, cyber criminals will try to take advantage of them.
Herbert J. Stapleton: A healthy dose of skepticism will go a long way keeping people protected when shopping only online on cyber Monday - and throughout the year.
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau and this is FBI, This Week. Fraudulent auction sales, gift card scams and phishing e-mails are among the many techniques cyber criminals use to lure their victims. Supervisory Special Agent Herbert Stapleton says when buying from auction or classified ad websites…
Stapleton: The appropriate way to do that would be to use a legitimate online payment service so that the seller of the item doesn’t actually obtain your credit card number.
Halpern: Stapleton also advices not to open unsolicited emails and to buy gift cards directly from the retailer or authorized resale merchant.
Stapleton: Abide by the old adage- if it looks too good to be true then it probably is.
Halpern: To report an internet crime and to learn more about how to stay safe online visitwww.ic3.gov.
- 06.22.2017 — FBI, This Week: Internet Crime Complaint Center Releases Annual Report
- 06.21.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Se Solicita Información Sobre Eduardo Ravelo, uno de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados
- 06.16.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Offered in Maurice Spagnoletti Murder Case
- 06.15.2017 — FBI, This Week: Hogan’s Alley—The “Baddest” Town in America
- 06.15.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Ingeniería Social