May 7, 2015
A long-held tradition, the Blue Mass is celebrated each year before National Police Week—when tens of thousands of law enforcement from around the world gather in Washington, D.C. to honor those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.
Mollie Halpern: Under an enormous American flag, bagpipers led a solemn procession of hundreds of law enforcement officers toward St. Patrick’s Church in the nation’s capital for the 21st annual Blue Mass.
Named after the blue color of police uniforms, the mass is said to remember the lives of first responders who died in the line of duty, support those who serve, and pray for their continued safety.
FBI Director James Comey, who comes from a law enforcement family, attended the mass in support of his agency’s local, state, and federal law enforcement partners.
The names of those who gave their lives last year were read aloud.
In his homily, Archbishop of Washington, D.C. Cardinal Donald Wuerl emphasized that death, violence, and hatred are not the answer…
Cardinal Wuerl: This Blue Mass does several things. First of all, it thanks everyone in uniform who stands between us and violence. We’re all called to something more than violence. We’re called to the message of Jesus, His love, His peace.
Halpern: A long-held tradition, the Blue Mass is celebrated each year before National Police Week—when tens of thousands of law enforcement from around the world gather in Washington, D.C. to honor those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice. I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau with FBI, This Week.
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Virtual Kidnapping for Ransom Schemes
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted Report Released
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Critical Supplies to Those Impacted by Hurricane Maria
- 10.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Endangered Child Alert Program Seeks Information on Jane Doe 39
- 10.10.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Tenga Cuidado con el Fraude por Parte de Organizaciones Benéficas como Resultado de los Huracanes