March 17, 2011
It’s a case involving banks, bombs, and blood brothers…and before it was all over, the U-30 Bandit and his co-conspirator had robbed eight banks in Massachusetts.
Mollie Halpern: It’s a case involving banks, bombs, and blood brothers…and before it was all over, the U-30 Bandit and his co-conspirator had robbed eight banks in Massachusetts. All of the crimes were committed in under 30 seconds. I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI, and this is “Gotcha.” Special Agent Eric Toole says speed wasn’t the bandit’s only weapon.
Eric Toole: He just said, “Give me all the money, I have a gun, this is a bomb.”
Halpern: A surveillance camera helped the FBI and its law enforcement partners catch a break in the case.
Toole: The camera caught his eyeball. One of the local detectives recognized the eye as being similar to someone that he had dealt with many times.
Halpern: That eye belonged to Dimitri Long, who was arrested coming out of a bank with stolen money in hand. His getaway driver, who was his half-brother, Michael Coty, sped away, but was later caught trying to hide in a stranger’s house. Long was sentenced to 20 years behind bars last month and Coty was sentenced to 60 months. Thanks for listening to “Gotcha,” the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 02.23.2018 — FBI, This Week: Global Sweep Addresses Growing Elder Fraud Threat
- 02.15.2018 — FBI, This Week: Restoring the Identities of Unknown Human Remains
- 02.08.2018 — FBI, This Week: Partnership Helps Reduce Backlogged Sexual Assault Kits
- 02.01.2018 — Inside the FBI: Playing It Safe—The Bureau Prepares for Super Bowl LII
- 02.01.2018 — FBI, This Week: Playing It Safe—The Bureau Prepares for Super Bowl LII