February 16, 2012
It’s an international sextortion case involving nearly 4,000 child victims.
Mollie Halpern: It’s an international sextortion case involving nearly 4,000 child victims.
Nickolas Savage: They terrorized these kids.
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI, and this is Gotcha. British citizen Patrick Connelly and Ivory Dickerson, of North Carolina, hacked into computers of adolescent girls and then turned on their webcams to get video of them naked. Once the men had the images, they extorted their victims to get them to provide more photos and videos of themselves. Case agent Nickolas Savage…
Savage: Fearing that they will get in trouble if they report it, they will continue with the victimization and send the individuals what they’re requesting. What often happens is, the victimization never stops.
Halpern: But, it did stop—after a three-year investigation that led special agents to both men.
Savage: Connelly was in Baghdad when we arrested him. He was doing this from the U.K., Saudi Arabia, he was doing it in Thailand.
Halpern: Both men are now behind bars.
Savage: Knowing that these individuals will be in jail for the rest of their lives—I cannot think of anything more satisfying.
Halpern: This is the FBI’s closed case of the week.
- 12.07.2018 — FBI, This Week: High School Class Collaborates with FBI Profilers
- 11.30.2018 — FBI, This Week: The Visiting Scientist Program
- 11.28.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Iranians Indicted for SamSam Ransomware Hacking and Extortion Scheme
- 11.27.2018 — Elder Fraud Telemarketing Scam Call Recording
- 11.21.2018 — FBI, This Week: Tribal Engagement Program Increases Participants