Peter Madoff, Part 2
February 6, 2013
Peter Madoff begins his decade in prison this month for crimes stemming from an unprecedented Ponzi scheme.
Mollie Halpern: Peter Madoff—Bernie’s brother—begins his decade in prison this month for crimes stemming from an unprecedented Ponzi scheme.
I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI, and this is Gotcha, the Bureau’s closed case of the week.
Peter Madoff pled guilty to conspiracy to commit securities fraud, tax fraud, and other charges while he was the chief compliance officer at his brother’s brokerage firm, Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities.
Case agent Paul Takla says Madoff was also ordered to forfeit $143 billion…
Paul Takla: Peter Madoff used the firm as his own personal piggy bank at the expense of other investors. And he used that money to purchase assets, other items of luxury for him and his family.
Halpern: Many investigative methods were used in this three-year case.
Takla: We were dealing with several thousand boxes of data as well as a computer system—in addition to financial analysis of bank accounts, trading accounts…
Halpern: For more information on this case, visit www.fbi.gov.
- 03.14.2019 — Wanted by the FBI: Another Milestone for the Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 03.13.2019 — FBI, This Week: Director Wray Mandates Visit to 9/11 Memorial and Museum for Trainees
- 03.08.2019 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Participates in Largest Nationwide Elder Fraud Sweep to Date
- 03.08.2019 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Recopilación en Curso de Información Acerca del Uso de la Fuerza Policial a Nivel Nacional
- 02.25.2019 — FBI, This Week: 2018 Preliminary Semiannual Uniform Crime Report Released