Operation Senior Sentinel
December 10, 2010
Operation Senior Sentinel targeted illegal boiler rooms and telemarketing fraud.
Ms. Ballew: The case was revealed in December 1995…Operation Senior Sentinel targeted illegal boiler rooms and telemarketing fraud…
Mr. Slotter: “The case was hugely significant in that it’s one of the few, if not only, instances I can think of where an entire crime problem was basically wiped out by very focused dramatic investigation.”
Ms. Ballew: Keith Slotter is special agent in charge of FBI San Diego. Formerly in Miami, he initiated the undercover operation that evolved into Senior Sentinel.
Mr. Slotter: “These were telemarketers who were really, really bad individuals, who were promising big prizes and a lot of different things, preying on customers—especially the elderly.”
Ms. Ballew: Many were conned into losing their life savings. But the tables were turned.
Mr. Slotter: “Instead of using undercover agents in those cases, we used a combination of retired agents and retired citizens affiliated with the AARP to pose as victims.”
Ms. Ballew: Ultimately, about 1200 arrests and hundreds of convictions. I’m Denise Ballew of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 12.01.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: New Top Ten Fugitive Marlon Jones
- 12.01.2016 — FBI, This Week: Marlon Jones Added to FBI’s Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 11.23.2016 — FBI, This Week: Preventing Identity Theft
- 11.21.2016 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Iris, el Perro del FBI que Detecta Componentes Electrónicos
- 11.17.2016 — Inside the FBI: Unforgotten Justice - The Story of a Hate Crime Survivor