Operation Senior Sentinel
December 10, 2010
Operation Senior Sentinel targeted illegal boiler rooms and telemarketing fraud.
Ms. Ballew: The case was revealed in December 1995…Operation Senior Sentinel targeted illegal boiler rooms and telemarketing fraud…
Mr. Slotter: “The case was hugely significant in that it’s one of the few, if not only, instances I can think of where an entire crime problem was basically wiped out by very focused dramatic investigation.”
Ms. Ballew: Keith Slotter is special agent in charge of FBI San Diego. Formerly in Miami, he initiated the undercover operation that evolved into Senior Sentinel.
Mr. Slotter: “These were telemarketers who were really, really bad individuals, who were promising big prizes and a lot of different things, preying on customers—especially the elderly.”
Ms. Ballew: Many were conned into losing their life savings. But the tables were turned.
Mr. Slotter: “Instead of using undercover agents in those cases, we used a combination of retired agents and retired citizens affiliated with the AARP to pose as victims.”
Ms. Ballew: Ultimately, about 1200 arrests and hundreds of convictions. I’m Denise Ballew of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 05.25.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: National Missing Children’s Day
- 05.25.2017 — FBI, This Week: National Missing Children’s Day
- 05.24.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: El FBI Lanza una Nueva Iniciativa Contra la Trata de Personas con Fines de Explotación Laboral
- 05.18.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Delincuencia Organizada de Ventas al Detalle Puede Presentar Peligros a la Salud
- 05.18.2017 — FBI, This Week: Preliminary Statistics for Law Enforcement Officers Killed in the Line of Duty in 2016 Released