Operation Senior Sentinel
December 10, 2010
Operation Senior Sentinel targeted illegal boiler rooms and telemarketing fraud.
Ms. Ballew: The case was revealed in December 1995…Operation Senior Sentinel targeted illegal boiler rooms and telemarketing fraud…
Mr. Slotter: “The case was hugely significant in that it’s one of the few, if not only, instances I can think of where an entire crime problem was basically wiped out by very focused dramatic investigation.”
Ms. Ballew: Keith Slotter is special agent in charge of FBI San Diego. Formerly in Miami, he initiated the undercover operation that evolved into Senior Sentinel.
Mr. Slotter: “These were telemarketers who were really, really bad individuals, who were promising big prizes and a lot of different things, preying on customers—especially the elderly.”
Ms. Ballew: Many were conned into losing their life savings. But the tables were turned.
Mr. Slotter: “Instead of using undercover agents in those cases, we used a combination of retired agents and retired citizens affiliated with the AARP to pose as victims.”
Ms. Ballew: Ultimately, about 1200 arrests and hundreds of convictions. I’m Denise Ballew of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 07.21.2017 — Se Busca por el FBI: Se Ofrece Recompensa en la Investigación del Homicidio de Maurice Spagnoletti
- 07.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: AlphaBay Criminal Marketplace Takedown
- 07.19.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Academia Nacional Marca un Hito
- 07.17.2017 — Voice of Unknown Subject in Indiana Murder Investigation
- 07.14.2017 — Gotcha: Couple Sentenced in Massive Health Care Fraud Scheme