Operation Double O
September 2, 2011
The Chicago mob, known as the Outfit, and the Chicago Outlaw Motorcycle Gang formed an alliance which involved a crew of thieves.
Mollie Halpern: It’s a case that began with an investigation called Operation Double O. I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI, and this is Gotcha.
The Chicago mob, known as the Outfit, and the Chicago Outlaw Motorcycle Gang formed an alliance which involved a crew of thieves. Special Agent Courtenae Trautmann…
Courtenae Trautmann: Historically, the Outfit here has used Outlaw motorcycle gangs to do a lot of their dirty work.
Halpern: Anthony Volpendesto did some of that dirty work by stealing from about 40 homes and jewelry stores in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana…
Trautmann: There were stabbings, there were shootings, victims were hog-tied and terrorized throughout these robberies.
Halpern: The FBI, along with its law enforcement partners, were able to charge Volpendesto on a Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations count using investigative tools such as informants. Volpendesto unknowingly helped investigators when, during one robbery…
Trautmann: …Anthony, prior to leaving the store, blew his nose in a tissue and it was left behind. His DNA was recovered from that tissue.
Halpern: Volpendesto was sentenced to 15 years in federal prison.
- 06.22.2017 — FBI, This Week: Internet Crime Complaint Center Releases Annual Report
- 06.21.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Se Solicita Información Sobre Eduardo Ravelo, uno de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados
- 06.16.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Offered in Maurice Spagnoletti Murder Case
- 06.15.2017 — FBI, This Week: Hogan’s Alley—The “Baddest” Town in America
- 06.15.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Ingeniería Social