Millions in Fines for Environmental Crimes - I
May 15, 2009
Environmental crimes are serious. The FBI and other federal and state agencies will investigate. At one point a television report led to a large investigation of an Alabama foundry company and several of its subsidiaries, one in Phillipsburg, New Jersey.
Mr. Schiff: Environmental crimes are serious. The FBI and other federal and state agencies will investigate. At one point a television report led to a large investigation of an Alabama foundry company and several of its subsidiaries, one in Phillipsburg, New Jersey.
Ms. Pickels: "They were charged with violating the Clean Air, Clean Water Acts, obstruction of justice and making materially false statements to OSHA, the FBI, and the New Jersey DEP (Department of Environmental Protection).”
Mr. Schiff: That’s Special Agent Michelle Pickels at the FBI office in Newark. She says there were injuries to workers at the plant and illegal discharges into the Delaware.
Ms. Pickels: "A federal grand jury convicted the Phillipsburg, New Jersey company and four individuals during the longest federal environmental crimes trial ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice.”
Mr. Schiff: Pickels says the penalties weren’t light.
Ms. Pickels: "The convicted individuals were sentenced from six months to 70 months in prison and the Phillipsburg, New Jersey company was sentenced to pay an $8 million fine, to serve a four-year probation.”
Mr. Schiff: If you know of any environmental crime in your area contact the nearest FBI office. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.”
- 02.14.2019 — FBI, This Week: Partnerships Help Prevent Illicit Streaming
- 02.08.2019 — Se Busca Por el FBI: Hasta $3 Millones de Recompensa por Hossein Ahmad Larijani
- 02.08.2019 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Publicación de las Estadísticas de 2017 de Delitos Motivados por el Odio
- 02.08.2019 — FBI, This Week: Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of African-American Special Agents
- 01.31.2019 — FBI, This Week: Trade Secret Theft Protection and Prevention Safeguards