Mayor & Wife Take Bribes - I
November 14, 2008
Corruption. Tax Fraud. A New Jersey mayor and his wife, also a city official. FBI Special Agent Courtney Foster says someone came forward...
Mr. Schiff: Corruption. Tax Fraud. A New Jersey mayor and his wife, also a city official. FBI Special Agent Courtney Foster says someone came forward...
Ms. Foster: "The source had indicated that there was a Guttenberg Code official who had collected cash contributions from a bar owner in town and then subsequently turned the cash over to the Guttenberg mayor.”
Mr. Schiff: The FBI had recordings. Foster says it turned out that the mayor’s close friend, his campaign treasurer, knew what was going on...
Ms. Foster: "Surprisingly he actually told us about the conversations he had with the mayor’s wife in regard to the cash that she was receiving from the bar owner. And in addition to that he also enlightened us about some gifts that the mayor’s wife was receiving in her capacity as a Guttenberg Planning Board member.”
Mr. Schiff: Foster says the pub owner was hoping her liquor license would be renewed...
Ms. Foster: "Having summonses dismissed; she requested help on obtaining a variance for one of her construction projects.”
Mr. Schiff: About $40,000 changed hands. The mayor and his wife were sentenced to more than four years in prison. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that's the FBI's Closed Case of the Week."
- 07.19.2018 — FBI, This Week: Director Wray Speaks at Aspen Security Forum
- 07.19.2018 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Se Lanzó una Iniciativa Nacional Contra la Clonación de Tarjetas
- 07.12.2018 — Se Busca por el FBI: Antwan Mims ha Sido Agregado a la Lista de los Diez Prófugos más Buscados
- 07.12.2018 — FBI, This Week: National Skimming Initiative Launched
- 07.06.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2018 Honors Internship Program