May 20, 2011
He was dubbed the “Grandad Bandit,” but Michael Francis Mara’s life of crime began decades before he became a grandfather.
Mollie Halpern: He was dubbed the “Grandad Bandit,” but Michael Francis Mara’s life of crime began decades before he became a grandfather.
Micheal Termyn: Mara had an extensive criminal history.
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI, and this is “Gotcha.” Mara’s latest crime spree involved robbing 26 banks in 14 states. A break in the case came when a billboard campaign featuring the fugitive caught the attention of a tipster who provided investigators with pictures. Special Agent Michael Termyn…
Termyn: The pictures that were provided were phenomenal, and actually had Michael Mara wearing some of the same clothing as he did with the bank robberies.
Halpern: The FBI worked with local police to track down Mara’s address. Then, they set up surveillance.
Termyn: When they were doing the surveillance, Michael Mara was robbing a bank.
Halpern: When Mara returned from the robbery, law enforcement was there to arrest him. But…
Termyn: He barricaded himself in the residence; there was a six-hour standoff. Mara eventually surrendered.
Halpern: Mara was sentenced to 25 years in prison and ordered to pay nearly $84,000 in restitution
- 04.21.2017 — Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruiting Radio Ad
- 04.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bhadreshkumar Patel Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.18.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Bhadreshkumar Chetanbhai Patel
- 04.12.2017 — FBI, This Week: Walter Yovany Gomez Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.12.2017 — Se Busca por el FBI: Walter Yovany Gomez en la Lista de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados