Forced Domestic Labor
June 18, 2010
Listen to an FBI case of a couple who forced a widowed mother of six into working in their home, seven days a week with no time off…for eight years
Ms. Ballew: The case is about a couple who forced a widowed mother of six into working in their home, seven days a week with no time off…for eight years.
Ms. Baker: “The defendants recruited the victim while visiting the victim’s home country in Nigeria. They enticed her with promises that her six children would be cared for in exchange for her work as a nanny.”
Ms. Ballew: Promises not kept. Special Agent Jennifer Baker says the victim only received about $300 over the eight years and was prohibited from making friends, talking on the phone to her children unsupervised, and even going out unsupervised.
Ms. Baker: "I believe the defendants were able to keep her there physically, not only by taking her passport and her personal documents away on the very first day she arrived, but by not teaching her English, keeping her isolated and in a constant state of fear, and really leading her to believe they were sending money home to her children."
Ms. Ballew: Guilty on all six charges. Twenty years for the male, nine for the female, and both ordered to pay over $300,000. Refugee Services of Texas assisted FBI Dallas. I’m Denise Ballew of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 07.21.2017 — Se Busca por el FBI: Se Ofrece Recompensa en la Investigación del Homicidio de Maurice Spagnoletti
- 07.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: AlphaBay Criminal Marketplace Takedown
- 07.19.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Academia Nacional Marca un Hito
- 07.17.2017 — Voice of Unknown Subject in Indiana Murder Investigation
- 07.14.2017 — Gotcha: Couple Sentenced in Massive Health Care Fraud Scheme