Elderly Taken for Lots of Money - II
January 11, 2008
The FBI investigated a case of a $100,000 fraud against an elderly woman and Agents found out she wasn't the only victim…
Mr. Schiff: The FBI investigated a case of a $100,000 fraud against an elderly woman and Agents found out she wasn't the only victim…
Mr. Wolverton: "Once we started to gain an understanding of where the money went, we were able to determine that she was actually involved in a larger FBI investigation in another state where multiple victims were being defrauded."
Mr. Schiff: FBI Special Agent Randy Wolverton who was one of the investigators…
Mr. Wolverton: "They were able to show us how much money was spent and where the money went and they had yet to receive any returns on their money. Yet they couldn't explain an accurate understanding of the paperwork actually meant."
Mr. Schiff: Wolverton says the scammers had a theme…
Mr. Wolverton: "The promise that 'the market really couldn't sustain losses that their seeing; the market's going to turn around; you're going to start seeing returns on your money but you have to keep sending more, you have to keep sending more, you have to keep sending more.'"
Mr. Schiff: Eventually the guy leading the fraud was caught. He plead guilty and was sent to prison on wire and bank fraud charges. I'm Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that's the FBI's Closed Case of the Week."
- 06.21.2018 — FBI, This Week: Study of Pre-Attack Behaviors of Active Shooters Released
- 06.21.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: D.C.-Area Hotel Rapist
- 06.14.2018 — FBI, This Week: Director Wray Responds to Inspector General’s Report
- 06.08.2018 — FBI, This Week: Remembering David LeValley as 9/11-Related Deaths Increase
- 05.31.2018 — FBI, This Week: Malware Targets Internet and Cable Routers