Elderly Taken for Lots of Money - I
January 4, 2008
An elderly woman calls a Midwest FBI office. She thinks that someone defrauded her...
Mr. Schiff: An elderly woman calls a Midwest FBI office. She thinks that someone defrauded her. Special Agent Randy Wolverton, now at the FBI's Criminal Investigative Division at Headquarters, interviewed the woman…
Mr. Wolverton: "She could articulate the vast majority of her life savings were drained out of her bank account that were sent out of state to different individuals and she had yet to receive any return on her investment."
Mr. Schiff: Wolverton says he and another Agent asked how this all started…
Mr. Wolverton: "We asked to see the paper documentation that had been sent to her and we were trying to ascertain if she has an understanding of what the documentation actually means."
Mr. Schiff: The woman lost more than $100,000. Wolverton says she wasn't the only victim. There were others in other states…
Mr. Wolverton: "They were answering public ads; they were receiving paperwork supposedly describing these investments. The paperwork was very complex in nature."
Mr. Schiff: The lead scammer was rounded up and plead guilty to wire and bank fraud charges and sentenced to federal prison. I'm Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that's the FBI's Closed Case of the Week."
- 02.14.2019 — FBI, This Week: Partnerships Help Prevent Illicit Streaming
- 02.08.2019 — Se Busca Por el FBI: Hasta $3 Millones de Recompensa por Hossein Ahmad Larijani
- 02.08.2019 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Publicación de las Estadísticas de 2017 de Delitos Motivados por el Odio
- 02.08.2019 — FBI, This Week: Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of African-American Special Agents
- 01.31.2019 — FBI, This Week: Trade Secret Theft Protection and Prevention Safeguards