Doctor Commits Fraud
October 22, 2010
The case is about a medical doctor betraying the public and taxpayers with health care, immigration, and tax fraud. For over five years, this doctor submitted false claims to Medicare about patient x-rays.
Ms. Ballew: The case is about a medical doctor betraying the public and taxpayers with health care, immigration, and tax fraud. For over five years, this doctor submitted false claims to Medicare about patient x-rays.
Ms. Berchtold: “If the charge was for four x-rays, he would do one, and it would be sub-standard quality.”
Ms. Ballew: Special Agent Sandra Berchtold of FBI Detroit.
Ms. Berchtold: “He was lying on the immigration forms of people who were trying to come into the United States to be naturalized.”
Ms. Ballew: And under-reporting income on federal tax returns. The subject was sentenced to…
Ms. Berchtold: “Twenty-four months in custody followed by three years’ supervised release.”
Ms. Ballew: Forfeiture of interest in cash and property valued at about $4 million or more, plus has to pay back Medicare and the IRS. The U.S. Attorney’s office - Eastern District of Michigan prosecuted. Other agencies on the case…
Ms. Berchtold: “The Internal Revenue Service - Criminal Investigation Division, with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement, as well as the Department of Health and Human Services - Office of Inspector General.”
Ms. Ballew: I’m Denise Ballew of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 09.21.2017 — FBI, This Week: Office of Integrity and Compliance Marks 10th Anniversary
- 09.14.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Operational Support During Hurricanes
- 09.08.2017 — FBI, This Week: Director Christopher Wray Speaks at INSA Summit
- 09.01.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Charity Fraud in Wake of Hurricane Harvey
- 08.25.2017 — FBI, This Week: Operation Wellspring Expands