Disbarred Attorney Defrauds the Elderly
July 27, 2010
Learn about an FBI case where an attorney defrauded the elderly out of millions of dollars in this podcast.
Ms. Ballew: The case is about an attorney who managed assets for elderly clients.
Mr. Urheim: “At some point during this process, he began diverting money to his own expenses and his own personal business interests, which were very risky. He lost all their money.”
Ms. Ballew: While saying their investments were secure. Special Agent Todd Urheim of FBI’s Atlanta Division says the bulk of this began in about 2006.
Mr. Urheim: “All total, he lost over $4.3 million that we were able to identify, based on the nine victims that we identified.”
Ms. Ballew: Urheim says there’s a lesson…
Mr. Urheim: “People who are in positions of public trust just need to just be honest with their clients in these financial times. It doesn’t make it better to add deceit to the mix.”
Ms. Ballew: The subject maintained his innocence…
Mr. Urheim: “When we started interviewing victims, it became apparent that he was definitely covering up his scheme.”
Ms. Ballew: He pled guilty to wire fraud, receiving just over five years. He also has to pay restitution of the over $4.3 million. FBI investigated with the Secret Service and the Topeka, Kansas Police Department. I’m Denise Ballew of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 12.13.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2017 NIBRS Crime Data Released
- 12.07.2018 — FBI, This Week: High School Class Collaborates with FBI Profilers
- 11.30.2018 — FBI, This Week: The Visiting Scientist Program
- 11.28.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Iranians Indicted for SamSam Ransomware Hacking and Extortion Scheme
- 11.27.2018 — Elder Fraud Telemarketing Scam Call Recording