Cambodian Freedom Fighter Sentenced
July 2, 2010
Learn about the FBI case out of the Los Angeles field office of the leader of the Cambodian Freedom Fighters who was sentenced in 2010.
Ms. Ballew: The leader of the Cambodian Freedom Fighters has just been sentenced in an FBI Los Angeles case.
Mr. Luna: “What makes this case unique is that we have an American citizen that took it upon himself to attempt to overthrow the government of another country.”
Ms. Ballew: He orchestrated a large-scale attack on the city of Phnom Penh in 2000. FBI Special Agent Miguel Luna says there was also an order for members to conduct smaller attacks in the area as well.
Mr. Luna: “Six people that lost their lives, three of them were actually innocent bystanders.”
Ms. Ballew: One was a husband and father living in a hut…
Mr. Luna: “Just heard the shooting, and got up from his bed, and was struck by a stray bullet.”
Ms. Ballew: Another, a teenager working in a restaurant/bar…
Mr. Luna: “Elements of the Cambodian Freedom Fighters threw a grenade at the bar as an act of terrorism.”
Ms. Ballew: The smaller “popcorn attacks” were warnings.
Mr. Luna: “They were meant to kind of instill fear in government figures and also to start what he called “waking up” the people of Cambodia that the big revolution was coming.”
Ms. Ballew: Two life sentences without parole, 300 months, and 60 months. I’m Denise Ballew of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 09.21.2017 — FBI, This Week: Office of Integrity and Compliance Marks 10th Anniversary
- 09.14.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Operational Support During Hurricanes
- 09.08.2017 — FBI, This Week: Director Christopher Wray Speaks at INSA Summit
- 09.01.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Charity Fraud in Wake of Hurricane Harvey
- 08.25.2017 — FBI, This Week: Operation Wellspring Expands