Bribes for a Court Clerk - II
March 28, 2008
Bribes by a court clerk. That’s what the FBI and Newark, New Jersey, police investigated. FBI Special Agent Sean Quinn says undercover techniques were used...
Mr. Schiff: Bribes by a court clerk. That’s what the FBI and Newark, New Jersey, police investigated. FBI Special Agent Sean Quinn says undercover techniques were used...
Mr. Quinn: "We sent the undercover agent in as a citizen who was seeking the services of this corrupt municipal court employee. In other words, he did things and acted in a way that appealed to the corrupt employee.”
Mr. Schiff: Quinn says this clerk was illegally taking money to help people get a job…
Mr. Quinn: "What this corrupt employee was doing was fixing criminal records that were on file at the Newark Municipal Court.”
Mr. Schiff: Quinn says a lot of money was exchanged …
Mr. Quinn: "The transaction that I’m talking about, we paid just about $4,000 for this changing of our criminal history.”
Mr. Schiff: Quinn says agents and police went to the clerk’s home…
Mr. Quinn: "His car was parked outside; he had a For Sale sign on the car with his own phone number on the car. So we called that phone number, told him we down on the street waiting for him to come down so we can look at the car for sale. He did come down thinking he was going to sell his car. At that point we apprehended him; handcuffed him.”
Mr. Schiff: It’s 33 months in federal prison for the corrupt court clerk. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that's the FBI's Closed Case of the Week."
- 09.21.2017 — FBI, This Week: Office of Integrity and Compliance Marks 10th Anniversary
- 09.14.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Operational Support During Hurricanes
- 09.08.2017 — FBI, This Week: Director Christopher Wray Speaks at INSA Summit
- 09.01.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Charity Fraud in Wake of Hurricane Harvey
- 08.25.2017 — FBI, This Week: Operation Wellspring Expands