June 6, 2011
It’s a case involving a computer hacker who used the identities of an American president and a famous musician.
Mollie Halpern: It’s a case involving a computer hacker who used the identities of an American president and a famous musician.
I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI, and this is “Gotcha.” Thor Morris plotted to reprogram ATMs to distribute $20 bills instead of $1 bills. So, when he used a pre-paid cash card to withdraw $400, he’d actually get 8,000 dollars. Case agent Karen Marinos…
Karen Marinos: He planned on walking away with more than $200,000.
Halpern: Morris had no idea he had shared his plan with an undercover agent who was with him when he bought the cash card.
Marinos: He registered the card under Barack Obama.
Halpern: When Morris approached the ATM…
Marinos: Thor Morris donned a wig and called it his Rick James wig. As he was about to attempt to reprogram the ATM, several FBI agents swooned in from all directions, and he threw off his wig and was placed immediately under arrest.
Halpern: Morris was sentenced to more than three years in prison without parole for fraud and related activity in connection with computers. Thanks for listening.
- 07.12.2018 — Se Busca por el FBI: Antwan Mims ha Sido Agregado a la Lista de los Diez Prófugos más Buscados
- 07.12.2018 — FBI, This Week: National Skimming Initiative Launched
- 07.06.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2018 Honors Internship Program
- 06.27.2018 — FBI, This Week: Antwan Mims Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 06.27.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Available for Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Antwan Mims