$6 Million Health Care Fraud- I
December 12, 2008
Health Care Fraud in Florida. FBI Special Agent Frances Bougeois in Miami investigated...
Mr. Schiff: Health Care Fraud in Florida. FBI Special Agent Frances Bougeois in Miami investigated...
Ms. Bougeois: "In this particular case these doctors were recruited from a bigger scheme. They were providing services that were not medically necessary and they were also paying kickbacks to the patients for their Medicare number.”
Mr. Schiff: Bougeois says two doctors were charged with defrauding the Medicare program of more than $6 million...
Ms. Bougeois: "They were providing services that were not medically necessary. They were filling out Super Bills and they were not providing those medications to the beneficiaries and the beneficiaries would sign the Super Bills which is what they would send Medicare to get reimbursed.”
Mr. Schiff: Bougeois says people without a lot of money were easily recruited...
Ms. Bougeois: "So they would come; they would sign the papers. Usually they are drug addicts; they’re not working; they don’t have money, so they would go there to receive $100; $150 as kickback sometimes three times a week.”
Mr. Schiff: Two doctors pleaded guilty and were sentenced to 37 and 48 months in prison. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that's the FBI's Closed Case of the Week."
- 09.21.2017 — FBI, This Week: Office of Integrity and Compliance Marks 10th Anniversary
- 09.14.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Operational Support During Hurricanes
- 09.08.2017 — FBI, This Week: Director Christopher Wray Speaks at INSA Summit
- 09.01.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Charity Fraud in Wake of Hurricane Harvey
- 08.25.2017 — FBI, This Week: Operation Wellspring Expands